Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Satan in the modern world

A blogger recently asked, "Is there really a Hell"? As I wrote in my August 11 and 14 posts, Jesus tells us explicitly there really is a Hell. But, the question is the same as asking if there really is a Devil. I am reading an intriguing book, "Evidence of Satan in the Modern World" (1961) by Leon Cristiani. The following excerpts from the section, "Lies and Contradictions" (p.162), argue against the greatest of Satan's lies - that God does not exist - while showing that many in our modern world have bought into this deception:

"The negation of God is the first, most serious of falsehoods in our present world. But it is not the only one. We are deep in falsehood, immersed in lies, so that we practically breathe falsehoods without being aware of it.

The emblem of this falsehood is contradiction. If God does not exist, who then is God? We do not say, the Devil, since in his passion to secure the denial of God the Devil prefers to deny, rather than to reveal, his own existence. A modern atheist, whilst denying the existence of God, is also prepared to deny the existence of the Devil. Only man remains. We therefore, are gods. Our science, our technics, our intelligence have sovereignty over everything. We are gods! But we have no souls, since matter alone exists. Or if we have souls, an expression meaning simply that we live and think, there is no question of these being immortal. When a man dies, everything dies. If God is dead, every time a man dies, it is a god who dies.

To deny the existence of God, of Satan, of an immortal soul, to deny any distinction between Good and Evil, to deny the existence of Sin, of Virtue, of Heaven and Hell; these are some of our lies by negation.

And if, after that, we glorify ourselves, if we transform ourselves into the only gods that exist, it is pure contradiction. Being and Nothing are confused. By suppressing all religion we make nihilism the only religion possible. And since that does not suppress the great speeches, the grand promises, and especially the grand illusions, once again everything, whether politics or philosophy or present-day agitation, is reduced to an immense contradiction...

Falsehood and contradiction, such are the first indications of the presence of Satan in the modern world."

16 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel deeply that what this guy says is true. It is also true that we are immersed in the opposite. I certainly am and have been for a long time. I know very few people who are not. How do we crawl out of all the falsehoods? It's gotten so bad that it has become who we are and how we see reality (for most of us).

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

" We are deep in falsehood, immersed in lies, so that we practically breathe falsehoods without being aware of it."


This is so true which makes me feel so sad.

 
At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't believe that the denial of Satan is the denial of God. Didn't Jesus mean that people do devilish acts?

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon 1:

"How do we crawl out of all the falsehoods? It's gotten so bad that it has become who we are and how we see reality."

We need to stick to the sacraments and go to Mass daily if possible. I feel the company we keep makes a big difference in how we see the world and the priorities in it.
I had to let go of a couple of friends because they thought my keeping the sacraments, going to Mass was "weird" and they were not respectful towards my faith.

What has made a tremendous difference in my life is going to Eucharistic Adoration a few times a week. I am lucky I have a church nearby that has Eucharistic Adoration 24 hours a day. (Thank you Jesus!)

Anon please don't give up!

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can anyone suggest any books on the Virgin Mary? I loved Scott Hahn's book and would like to read more books on her.

Thanks in advance!

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the first anon, and I just can't say emphatically enough how tragic it is that our world has strayed so far from holiness. It's devastating to me. There's no way back for those of us who have bought into all the wrong stuff. All we can do is marvel at and support the people who bravely stayed with holiness in defiance of the modern world. The rest of us blew it, like Adam and Eve. And all along we thought we were right, at least I did.

 
At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon 1.

"There's no way back for those of us who have bought into all the wrong stuff."

I don't agree with -there is no way back. God is always bestowing His grace and guidance . I honestly believe that God speaks through not only the scriptures etc. but also through people. All we have to do is listen. This is something that has happened to me many times and I am definately following what is being said to me.

I agree with you in the support of people who have remained holy but shouldn't we also try to do what they are doing so we too are going in the right path? That is what I am doing although I know I am stumbling at times. I think we can always change our ways and thus not have blown it. It takes courage to stand up for what is right but definately worth it.

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Jesus tells us explicitly there really is a Hell."

Where?

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is every one anonymous on the Hell discussion? This book sounds intense, and I would like to read it. Anon #1 , Satan wins when we "give up,". As a matter of fact, I have found that when I move closer to Christ, I will often soon experience much spiritual warfare. The minute I think that I can carry out my vocation via my own strength is the minute I go into falsehood. I don't know about others but it is only through the sacraments that I am constantly called back to relying on Christ. The scriptures tell us that we are called to "work out," our salvation and win the race. Also recall Christ forgave the criminal on the Cross beside him. It is never too late.

 
At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beats me. Well this anon needs to get packing and go south to celebrate the New Year!


HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!

 
At 4:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of the things I find hard to understand about Catholicism. Hardly any comments about the Pope's address, which seemed full of positive messages about how to respond to God's love. But loads of comments about the Satan message.

 
At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can anyone suggest any books on the Virgin Mary?

Caryll Houselander's The Reed of God is wonderful.

 
At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tom,

How was you Christmas? Ours was great! Very hectic but a lot of fun! Did you get any wacky gifts? I didn't but it would be fun to find out if anyone did or not.

Thanks for the title.

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mabel:

I did get a boxed set of Marx Brothers movies on DVD, though I suppose that's more a gift of wackiness than a wacky gift.

Kiwi Nomad:

I've found that, generally speaking, people seem to be more comfortable talking about lower things than higher things. I don't know that it's a particularly Catholic attitude, though.

 
At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tom,

I got an electric stirrer today for beverages. I guess in the case if I forget how to stir. Giggle.

 
At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kiwi,

You ready to take the plunge and go to Mass? One hint (which I gave to someone a while back): If not, just go to the back to the church and sit there. Don't miss going to Mass it is such a nice feeling afterwards.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home