Saturday, December 16, 2006

Reflection at Adoration last night

Penance Service, Tues, Dec. 19, 7:30 p.m., SAA Church
------------------------------------------
I have had many interesting conversations with people over the years who are in different situations in life with different vocations. Speaking with single, young adults who are discerning their vocations, and might be getting frustrated and impatient. Most don't feel called to the single life, and want God to reveal to them if they're supposed to be married or religious. They express feelings of loneliness, and desire true intimacy.

But, it's not just single adults who have indicated that they can be lonely. I remember talking with a married man, a good friend of mine, years ago. He loved his wife, and they had a good marriage and family. But, he admitted to being lonely. We talked more about it, and found that he really wasn't as close to God as he should be. He hadn't gone deeper in his friendship with Christ. Even married persons can experience loneliness if they are away from God.

Each one of us has a place in our hearts that is reserved for God alone. It is the deepest part of our heart, and it desires true intimacy with Him. Christ has made our hearts, and our hearts desire to be intimate with Him. We desire to be close to Him, to be with Him who is Love. No other person, place, or thing can fill this desire except for Christ. If there is a void there, we experience loneliness. It is not until we experience true intimacy with Christ that we experience intimacy.

I was talking with friends of mine this week about the Gospel from Wednesday's Mass. Jesus says, "Come to me all you labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest" (Mt 11:28). 'Come to me, all you who are anxious and stressed out from the busy-ness of this season...all you who are lonely...sad...been rejected...carrying a serious cross...suffering for my sake. Come to me, and I will give you rest. I will give you peace. I will give you happiness. I will give you intimacy'.

We come to Jesus tonight to be with Him, and to find his rest. We come to be close to Him...to be intimate with Him. No one else can love us as Christ loves us. He is always there for us, and He will never leave us or let us down. If we have experienced the imperfect love of others, how much more do we experience the perfect love of Christ?

And, so, Lord Jesus, we come to you tonight to be with you as we prepare to celebrate your birth. Please fill our hearts with your love. Fill our hearts with your rest and your peace. Lord, give us your rest. Give us your peace.

5 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Father, for a beautiful reflection last night. Adoration is such a precious experience for me. Jesus' love is so perfect, intimate, and He is always there waiting for us. My prayer this Christmas is that my family and friends will become closer to Christ and that some will experience His love for the first time. IT is an honor to serve Him by serving others.

Thank you again for offering adoration faithfully every Friday.

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My three year old nephew is very engergetic and all over the place but when we take him for adoration he is so still and quiet. Its pretty impressive. He gets it, that it is his quiet time with Jesus. Going to mass and adoration with your family-nothing beats that!

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunshine,

That is amazing for a three year old! I brought my 12 and 14 year olds with me. Both sat quietly throughout the hour. My daughter and I went out to dinner last night and I asked her what it means to her...........She said she just looks at Him and loves Him. She also said that she feels His total and complete love embracing her! We agreed that it is perfect love. My son has ADHD, and he is not not on meds. He also was able to sit quietly the entire time.

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly that is great! It is also nice that you had a mother and daughter dinner and discussion afterwards. Those moments are so special! My nepew Andy is a bit young to vocalize what adoration means to him but when he gets older I will ask him-hopefully he will still be going.

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Sunshine, it was a special mom and daughter night out. I am always amazed when she talks about adoration. For someone so young to have her experience. Truly she is blessed. She wants me to get our youth group motivated and she asked me and another mom to help! She said kids need to have some where to go to talk about what is really happening in their world away from home! She said someone needs to be bold and bring up the tough questions/discussions. Trust me, I am all over it after the holidays. We do not attend St. Andrew's. Pray for me! Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home