Wednesday, October 17, 2007

"The cross is the greatest gift"

Recently, Fran posted the following beautiful reflections and prayers related to suffering from the book "Every Day is A Gift":


"Do not allow yourselves to be overly saddened by the unfortunate accidents of this world.You are not aware of the benefits that they bring and by what secret judgment of God they are arranged for the eternal joy of the Elect.
-St. John of the Cross


Prayer: Father of wisdom, help me to accept all earthly misfortunes with the sure knowledge that good will come from them. Let me never despair, but trust in Your Providence that governs all things.


"Suffering out of love for God is a signal favor, but we do not realize this.For we thank God for prosperity and take no heed that afflictions would be a much greater grace.
-St. Joseph of Cupertino


Prayer: Compassionate Lord, teach me to regard all suffering as something allowed by You to make me more like Your Son Jesus. Help me to accept in this light whatever suffering may come to me.


"The cross is the greatest gift God could bestow on His Elect on earth. There is nothing so necessary, so beneficial, so sweet, or so glorious as to suffer something for Jesus.If you suffer as you ought, the cross will become a precious yoke that Jesus will carry with you.
-St. Louis Grignion de Montfort


Prayer: Lord Jesus, impress upon me that without a cross on earth there will be no crown in heaven. Help me to bear my cross daily for You as You bore Your Cross for me and all human beings.

2 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter got into the car after school yesterday to tell me she learned something "really cool". She said, "You know how the cross is shaped like a lowercase 't' and Jesus' body, on the cross, looks like a 'y'- it reminds us to say 'Thank you Jesus.'" She said she'll now remember that each time she looks at the cross. Thank you, Mrs Regan (St. A's rel. teacher).

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger fran said...

Some song lyrics to a song I mentioned in a previous post, about
carrying one's cross:

"Bring the Rain" by MercyMe

"I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You with all that I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You

Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times

So I pray

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

I am Yours regardless of
The dark clouds that may loom above
Because You are much greater than my pain
You who made a way for me
By suffering Your destiny
So tell me what's a little rain

So I pray....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home