Thursday, May 24, 2007

Thursday's Gospel

Gospel - Jn 17:20-26

Lifting up his eyes to heaven, Jesus prayed saying:

“I pray not only for these,
but also for those who will believe in me through their word,
so that they may all be one,
as you, Father, are in me and I in you,
that they also may be in us,
that the world may believe that you sent me.
And I have given them the glory you gave me,
so that they may be one, as we are one,
I in them and you in me,
that they may be brought to perfection as one,
that the world may know that you sent me,
and that you loved them even as you loved me.
Father, they are your gift to me.
I wish that where I am they also may be with me,
that they may see my glory that you gave me,
because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
Righteous Father, the world also does not know you,
but I know you, and they know that you sent me.
I made known to them your name and I will make it known,
that the love with which you loved me
may be in them and I in them.”

3 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone recently asked me if I had forgiven myself about something (a rather big and life-impacting something), and I've a feeling they will ask me again in the future. The concept just baffles me. When I go somewhere and I don't know how to get there, I go to my computer, pull up Map It, put in my origination and destination points and hit go. I get this neat set of directions and a detailed map. That's what I need now- a map! In order to forgive myself this thing, I need someone to tell me how to do it- go 2 miles up the road, turn left and at the fork in the road, bear right. I'm not trying to make light of the topic, but I really don't think I understand what this means- to forgive myself. Does it mean I let go of emotion attached to my actions? Does it mean I relinquish my own responsibility? Does it mean I stop being angry with myself (and if so- that's a tall order)? I'm not trying to be obtuse, but I need to understand what I'm looking to do in this forgiving of myself thing. Then, I need to know how.

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon;

Forgiving yourself is the hardest thing in the world to do. I haven't gotten that far yet and I have done some huge things.

It is easier to forgive everyone else who does things to you then it is to forgive yourself for things, I am not sure why that is. Perhaps it is because we unrealistically expect ourselves to be perfect and when we fail miserably we are harder on ourselves then we should be and once you get in that pattern then it is really easy to stay in it and keep beating yourself up. I still do it.

I don't think there are any clear cut directions on this, I do know one of the biggest steps is accepting Christ's forgiveness and believing that we are forgiven our sins after going to confession THAT alone is the biggest step we have to take.

 
At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great day and don't work too hard!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home