Thursday, May 17, 2007

Thursday's Gospel

Today's feast of the Ascension has been transferred to Sunday in the Archdiocese of Washington.
------------------------------

Gospel - Jn 16:16-20

Jesus said to his disciples: “A little while and you will no longer see me,and again a little while later and you will see me.”So some of his disciples said to one another,“What does this mean that he is saying to us,‘A little while and you will not see me,and again a little while and you will see me,’and ‘Because I am going to the Father’?”So they said, “What is this ‘little while’ of which he speaks?We do not know what he means.” Jesus knew that they wanted to ask him, so he said to them,“Are you discussing with one another what I said,‘A little while and you will not see me,and again a little while and you will see me’?Amen, amen, I say to you,you will weep and mourn, while the world rejoices;you will grieve, but your grief will become joy.”

9 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fr. Mike gave a nice homily today about sepnding "a little while" with God to make our lives better. He talked about how we focus on the difficulties in our lives, when "spending a little while" with God improves the quality of our lives so much and, basically, diminishes those difficulties. It made me think about how much time I have spent recently focusing on problems and giving a tremendous amount of time and energy to being emotional. If I were to spend that same amount of time with God instead, my entire day would be amazingly different. I'm going to try it- each time my mind wants to wonder to a place that makes me angry, hurt or frustrated-I'm going to say a prayer instead.

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fr. Greg,

Does this mean that as a lector Sunday I should prepare to give today's readings rather than those for Sunday? Just want to be sure on this...

Steve

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It made me think about how much time I have spent recently focusing on problems and giving a tremendous amount of time and energy to being emotional. If I were to spend that same amount of time with God instead, my entire day would be amazingly different."






Anon,
I have been doing the same things! I asked a lot of people to pray for me through a difficult time. I am trying to turn away from worry/negative thoughts and turn toward prayer/gratitude. It changes every thing. I have recently begun to say a Hail Mary when I begin to worry/get emotional about any person in my life. I offer it up for that person's needs. This practice has been amazing. I just keep forgetting to consistently do it!

Thanks for sharing. I am right there! God bless.

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God idea Kelly!

 
At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off topic.

"What makes someone gay or straight? Personal choice? Genes? Upbringing? » '60 Minutes' report"

It was interesting because they had two tests to see if you could tell if a person was straight or not. You can see this on Yahoo.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off topic-How do you find the tests on yahoo?

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a yahoo account and there it was.

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to add that the tests was part of the "60 Minute" report. Leslie Stahl is answering the questions but you can answer them in your mind. I got one wrong.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Fr Greg said...

Steve, you should prepare for the following readings on Sunday:

1) Acts 1:1-11
2) Eph 1: 17-23
or
Heb 9:24-28; 10:19-23

 

Post a Comment

<< Home