Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Wednesday's Mass readings

Reading 1 - Is 50:4-9a

The Lord GOD has given me a well-trained tongue,
That I might know how to speak to the weary
a word that will rouse them.
Morning after morning
he opens my ear that I may hear;
And I have not rebelled,
have not turned back.
I gave my back to those who beat me,
my cheeks to those who plucked my beard;
My face I did not shield
from buffets and spitting.
The Lord GOD is my help,therefore I am not disgraced;
I have set my face like flint,
knowing that I shall not be put to shame.
He is near who upholds my right;
if anyone wishes to oppose me,
let us appear together.
Who disputes my right?
Let him confront me.
See, the Lord GOD is my help;
who will prove me wrong?

Responsorial Psalm - Ps 69:8-10, 21-22, 31 and 33-34 - Lord, in your great love, answer me.

Gospel - Mt 26:14-25

One of the Twelve, who was called Judas Iscariot,
went to the chief priests and said, “What are you willing to give me
if I hand him over to you?”
They paid him thirty pieces of silver,
and from that time on he looked for an opportunity to hand him over.
On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread,
the disciples approached Jesus and said,“Where do you want us to prepare
for you to eat the Passover?”
He said,“Go into the city to a certain man and tell him,
‘The teacher says, “My appointed time draws near;
in your house I shall celebrate the Passover with my disciples.”'

“The disciples then did as Jesus had ordered,
and prepared the Passover.
When it was evening,
he reclined at table with the Twelve.
And while they were eating, he said, “Amen, I say to you, one of you will betray me.”
Deeply distressed at this,
they began to say to him one after another,
“Surely it is not I, Lord?”
He said in reply,“He who has dipped his hand into the dish with me
is the one who will betray me.
The Son of Man indeed goes, as it is written of him,
but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed.
It would be better for that man if he had never been born.”

Then Judas, his betrayer, said in reply,
“Surely it is not I, Rabbi?”
He answered, “You have said so.”

6 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was nice having an earlier daily mass during lent. Can we continue this? Even just one day a week?

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be nice.

 
At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"He is near who upholds my right;
if anyone wishes to oppose me,
let us appear together."

This couldn't be more perfect for me today. It help me to shift my thinking in a huge way (I'm actually smiling). Yesterday someone said something unkind about me that hurt my feelings. I took out my frustration on a few choice people who I thought probably wouldn't hold it against me. I made my apologies and decided to get over it. Today I was able to spend time doing something really fun with some people who are special to me, and I felt like that was my reward for "turning the other cheek" (even if it was after I behaved badly). Then, later today-I found myself dealing with another situation where people were making me feel unwanted and defensive of my actions and intentions. I felt my hurt, and my eyes, welling up. I tapped in to see what was up here today- maybe there'd be something for me. Suprise-

My understanding of that verse makes sense in regard to all this drama-
when people attack others and cause pain, they're also attacking Jesus. He is at our side, supporting us, healing us, and comforting us.

In consideration of that- what does it really matter what ANYONE else says or does in regard to me. I've got Jesus! Yes to all of you have had said it countless times- God is good! Thanks for posting the readings.

 
At 6:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to see one Adoration each month to be a "family" Adoration, with the format, for lack of a better word, to be like the one done for my child's class. If possible, parents would probably be appreciative for "pointers" from Fr. in the bulletin on how to prepare and explain to children about Adoration before attending.

 
At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Only in love can I find You, my God. In love the gates of my soul spring open, allowing me to breath a new air of freedom and forget my own petty self. In love my whole being streams forth out of the rigid confines of narrowness and anxious self-assertion, which make me a prisoner of my own poverty and emptiness. In love all the powers of my soul flow out toward You, wanting never more to return, but to lose themselves completely in You, since by Your love You are the inmost center of my heart, closer to me than I am to myself."

Karl Rahner, from Encounters with Silence

 
At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the Gospel of Judas?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home