Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Spiritual reading list

A parishioner recently asked me to post a list of books for spiritual reading. The following is a partial list of books from "A Guide To Spiritual Reading (And More)" by Rev. T.G. Morrow. To view the full list, please click on today's title.

"For those who are new to spiritual reading"
- "The Sun Danced at Fatima", Fr. Joseph Pelletier, A.A.
- "The Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux", Institute of Carmelite Studies
- "He Came to You so that You Might Come to Him" (St. Anthony of Padua), Lothar Hardick
Franciscan Press.
- "St. Francis of Assisi", Omar Englebert, Servant Pubs.
- "Padre Pio, The Wonder Worker", The Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate
- "The Cure d’Ars", Francis Trochu, TAN Books
- "Bernadette Speaks: In Her Own Words", Fr. Rene Laurentin, Daughters of St. Paul
- "The Death Camp Proved Him Real: The Life of Fr. Maximilian Kolbe", Maria Winowska, Franciscan Marytown Press
- "St. Catherine of Siena", F. A. Forbes, TAN Books
- "Give Me Souls – Life of Don Bosco", Petter Lappin, Don Bosco Pubs.


"Intermediate List"
- "The Three Ways of the Spiritual Life", Garrigou-Lagrange, TAN Books
- "Introduction to the Devout Life", St. Francis de Sales, TAN Books
- "The Way of the Lamb: The Spirit of Childhood and the End of the Age", John Saward, Ignatius Press.
- "The Imitation of Christ", Thomas a Kempis, various Publishers.
- "The Life of Christ", F. J. Sheen, Image
- By C.S. Lewis: "The Screwtape Letters", Simon and Schuster; "The Four Loves", Harvest Books; "Mere Christianity", Harper
- "The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola", Image Books
- "The Complete Spiritual Doctrine of St. Therese of Lisieux", Fr. Jamart OCD, Alba House
- "The Holy Eucharist", St. Alphonsus Ligouri, TAN Books
- "True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin", St. Louis de Montfort, Alba House
- "Butler’s Lives of the Saints", Harper & Row


"Advanced List"
- "The Complete Works of St. Teresa of Avila", Inst. For Carmelite Studies
- "The Complete Works of St. John of the Cross", Inst. For Carmelite Studies
- "Confessions of St. Augustine", various publishers

- Writings of the Church Fathers such as (Sts.) Augustine, (John) Chrysostom, Gregory the Great, Ephraem, Ambrose.

7 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Blogger fran said...

Some thoughts on the previous topic of forgiveness and trust...

I think it is possible to forgive yet still not trust the individual who has been forgiven, especially if that person does not make an effort to change his/her ways. Trust is something which has to be rebuilt over time, and it often remains elusive. Lack of trust, in another person, can certainly make it difficult to forgive on subsequent occasions, but I don't it negates any previous act of forgiveness.

It is important to remember that hope is the one constant in the bigger picture, here. Hope that the person will want to change, hope that they will pursue whatever is necessary to make changes in themselves, and hope that these changes will be permanent.

Regarding spending time in hell for another...

In the Apostles' Creed we say the following "... born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontus Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell; on the third day He rose again from the dead ..."

Finally... I found "The Story of a Soul," to be a deeply moving, sweet and beautiful read. Something that can be read again and again.

 
At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’ve thought about what everyone has said regarding forgiveness and trust. My thinking may be flawed, but experience has taught me that when I don’t trust another and/or allow them the opportunity to “try again,” I don’t completely forgive. In certain instances, I have learned that others weren’t, yet again, (in my opinion) deserving of my trust. However, if I don’t give another the opportunity to redeem themselves- something that I think goes beyond forgiveness, then I see that I end up going back to a familiar place- one where I need to forgive all over again. I’ve realized that forgiveness of others and my willingness to trust must go hand in hand with faith in God. If I believe in His power, then I must believe in His power to help me overcome whatever may be.

So, while I don’t think anyone should willingly subject themselves to abuse, I believe that there’s power in standing straight again to say, “Okay, you hurt me, but I’m going to trust in your ability to do better.” I think God blesses those people.

 
At 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A book I would recommend is:

Woman by Edith Stein it is a good book about all the vocations of women. Very positive book, it is giving me a lot to think about in my own life.

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I noted with amusement that Rev Morrow added the tag "no pain no gain" to his Advanced Reading header.

I've been reading St Augustine's Confessions the past several weeks. I'm awed by his passion but some of his more philosophical reflections are rather tough to slog through.

Apparently I started at the wrong end of the list.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger fran said...

Anon 10:03 -
I had to laugh at what you wrote.

I started reading "The Screwtape Letters," while on vacation last week. ( My daughter had to read it, as well as "Mere Christianity," as part of a theology course at Good Counsel a couple of years ago, so I thought I'd give it a try.)

While it is not difficult to read, it does require some concentration to fully comprehend what Lewis is saying. Reclining in a chair, surrounded by many distractions of the beach, is definitely not the place to attempt this!

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger CynthiaBC said...

fran, LOL about the beach!

Also not conducive to spiritual reading (all of which I've attempted, with limited success):

At the gym, on a stationary bicycle

During a frequently-interrupted lunch break

In the company of a 7-year-old who has finished her book, and decided she no longer is interested in amusing herself

With a brass quintet rehearsing in the next room

During a pleasant afternoon in the backyard...while a neighbor is mowing his lawn

Perhaps I should rustle up a pair of earplugs and a set of blinders.

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Pope asserts that vacation is a good time to spend reading about the saints:

http://www.zenit.org/article-23425?l=english

 

Post a Comment

<< Home