Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Queenship of Mary

Today, the Church celebrates the memorial of the Queenship of Mary which celebrates Mary as Queen of Heaven and Earth. This feast is very much connected to last Wednesday’s solemnity of Mary’s Assumption because we believe that God crowned Mary as Queen when she was assumed into Heaven. The Mother of God has been given this crown because of her perfect and consistent ‘fiat’ (‘thy will be done’) to Almighty God. She is queen and mother of all the angels and saints in Heaven and she is our queen and mother.

Here is an excerpt from today’s Office of Readings, a homily by St. Amadeus of Lausanne, bishop: “She is a bride, so gentle and affectionate, and the mother of the only true bridegroom. In her abundant goodness she has channeled the spring of reason’s garden, the well of living and life-giving waters that pour forth in a rushing stream from divine Lebanon and flow down from Mount Zion until they surround the shores of every far-flung nation. With divine assistance she has redirected these waters and made them into streams of peace and pools of grace. Therefore, when the Virgin of virgins was led forth by God and her Son, the King of kings, amid the company of exulting angels and rejoicing archangels, with the heavens ringing with praise, the prophecy of the psalmist was fulfilled, in which he said to the Lord: At your right hand stands the queen, clothed in gold of Ophir (Ps. 145)”.

Related to this, Anon asked: “What is the distinction between assumption and ascension? Also, where are we told that Mary was assumed into heaven? I've always wondered why we don't hear more about Mary's life after Jesus' death.” Christ’s ascension and Mary’s assumption are similar in that they are both taken up into Heavenly glory. They are distinct in that Christ’s Ascension is the final part of the act of Salvation and Mary’s Assumption is one of the first fruits of Salvation. In other words, the latter occurs as a result of the former: the Blessed Virgin Mary’s Assumption occurs as a result of the (Life, Death, Resurrection, and) Ascension of the Lord Jesus.

“ Christ’s ascension marks the definitive entrance of Jesus’ humanity into God’s heavenly domain…Jesus Christ, the head of the Church, precedes us into the Father’s glorious kingdom so that we, the members of his Body, may live in the hope of one day being with him for ever” (CCC, # 665-666). The Ascension signifies to us not only the glory of Christ but also that we may share in his glory in Heaven. The Assumption gives us real hope that this is true because we see our Mother share in Christ’s glory. The Catechism further explains:

“‘Finally, the Immaculate Virgin, preserved free from all stain of original sin, when the course of her earthly life was finished, was taken up body and soul into heavenly glory, and exalted by the Lord as Queen over all things, so that she might be the more fully conformed to her Son, the Lord of Lords and conqueror of sin and death*’. The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin is a singular participation in her Son’s Resurrection and an anticipation of the Resurrection of other Christians:

‘in giving birth you kept your virginity; in your Dormition you did not leave the world, O Mother Of God, but were joined to the source of Life. You conceived the living God and, by your prayers, will deliver our souls from death**’” (CCC, # 966).

* Lumen Gentium, Vatican II
** Byzantine Liturgy

9 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary is often called upon to intercede on behalf of mothers in raising children. Today, I read an article in this month’s Washingtonian, "The Secret Lives of Teens." My immediate thought was, “How can we possibly get our teens through high school in one piece?” Here are just a few of the quotes from “our” kids:

SEX-
“Age is not an issue anymore. Freshman year? That’s young. Sophomore year? That’s expected.”

“At my school, you’re dating before you have sex. In fact, you’re probably dating for six months.”

“I don’t think I could name one ( virgin). If I dated a guy who’s a virgin, it’d be awkward. It’s a bit of a turnoff.”

DRINKING-
“I think binge drinking is defined as anything more than five drinks in a night. That’s every time there’s a party.”

“I steal from my parents. It’s easy. The liquor cabinet is right there- you fill up a water bottle and you’re ready to go. It was more of an issue with my big brother. He would take whole bottles. I’m like, ‘No, you don’t do that- you pour.’”

DRUGS-
“It’s way easier to find weed than it is to get alcohol. Alcohol is a controlled substance.”

“International Baccalaureate kids only do drugs on the weekends because they don’t have time during the week.”

GOD (the hopeful section of the article)-
“Sometimes my sister and I go to church. I like to think I’m getting closer to God and he’s going to forgive me for everything I do.”

“I’m Catholic, and my sister got me involved in our church. I started going on these mission trips, and it’s so much fun. I’m obsessed with my church now. I feel closest to God when I go on those trips. It’s hard to explain. There’s just a vibe there.”

These quotes came from our area from both private and public school students. In asking that we all will have what we need to parent, I think Mary has her work cut out for her.

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

I just had my birthday on August 22nd.... and turned 50. Shows how far away from churchy things I am really as I never knew about that feast day.
But last year when I was at Lourdes I am sure Mary looked after me. It just hasn't got me back to church.

 
At 1:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My parents told me about Mr. Common Sense early in my life and told me I
would do well to call on him when making decisions. It seems he was always
around in my early years but less and less as time passed by. Today I read
his obituary. Please join me for a moment of silence in remembrance. For
Common Sense had served us all so well for so many generations.

Obituary
Common Sense


Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has
been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his
birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing
when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life
isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more
than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children are
in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but
overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy
charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from
school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding
an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job
they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It
declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to
administer Aspirin, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student; but could
not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an
abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became
contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better
treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't
legally defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can
sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to
realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her
lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his
wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is
survived by three stepbrothers; I Know my Rights, Someone Else is to Blame,
and I'm a Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you
still remember him pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Author unknown

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger fran said...

Happy Birthday Kiwi!

Might you consider celebrating your
50th year with a return to the Church? I think it would make an awesome gift!

 
At 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kiwi,

Happy Beloved Birthday! My cousin turned 50 recently and he told me how wise he has become.

 
At 4:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops I forgot to add. I agree with Fran. It would be a great gift to return back to the church.

This summer I got lazy and didn't go to Mass but starting this Saturday I will be. Let's start together!

 
At 4:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incidentally I just don't feel worthy of recieving the Eucharist. Is it okay to just attend Mass and not recieve the sacrament until I feel worthy again?

 
At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think feelings matter a whole bunch in receiving the Eucharist? If you are a Catholic in good standing (especially if you do, in fact, believe in the real presence)then you are "worthy" as are all Catholics in the similar situation. If you have sinned (perhaps this is what is leading you to arrive at your less than worthy thing), I'd imagine you know the remedy for that.

I often wonder about people who express that they aren't "good enough." Sometimes, although I'm not suggesting this is the case for you, anon, it seems like it's for attention. This is often the response from others- "No, come on- you are a really good person!" and, "You have so much to offer." So many need to have that kind of validation from others. To those, I'd suggest another point of view- the mere fact that we are created in God's image and the amazing fact that he loves each of us no matter what, makes us all more than good enough. Perfect? No, but good enough (and worthy)? Absolutely!

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more thing on "worthiness"-

"Lord, I am not worthy to receive you but only say the word and I shall be healed."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home