Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Blogger party!

Fr. Mike's refresher course continues tonight, 7 pm, in the school. It is open to any adult Catholics who have questions about their faith and / or those who need to be confirmed.
---------------------------------
Let's have a party! When I initially asked bloggers about the idea of having a get-together, the overwhelming response was, 'yes!' So, we're going ahead with it. I have reserved the all-purpose room here at St A's for next Saturday night, May 5, after the 5 pm Mass. So, that'll be 5/5 after the 5!

Let's make it a potluck dinner. Casual dress. Open to all bloggers of our sites - St. Andrew's, St Francis, St John's, GW.

I know that it's rather last-minute and everyone is busy with games and different Spring events, so let's keep it simple. Cold dishes would be preferable. We will have access to the oven in the kitchen at 4 pm in case anyone needs to heat up their dish. But, given the weather and logistics of the event, I would prefer to steer away from that.

Then, it's the matter of who is bringing what. I know, "Anon" will bring this, "Anon" will bring that...! I guess it really doesn't matter that much to have a name attached to a side dish or main dish, but it would be helpful. Keep in mind, "Anonymous" will not be accepted on any name tag that night! We're going to know who each other is on May 5 (that's kinda the whole point, right!), so we might as well get started on names now with the sign-up.

So, please indicate if you're able to come, and what you will bring. If bloggers want to bring their spouses, that's fine, but we should limit it to that (bloggers and spouses only). Please indicate if your spouse will be coming. For those who will need to get a babysitter, the party will probably go no later than 8 pm (although I don't know what kind of partiers bloggers are!). We'll have dinner, dessert, and music - I'll bring a Karaoke machine for anyone who's interested.

I can provide drinks - sodas and waters.

Please reply on the "comments" section of this post so that everyone will see how many are coming, and what's being provided. If you have any questions or suggestions, please leave those as well. I think I've covered everything, but let me know if I missed something here. I will make another post at the end of next week with an update.

Come on bloggers, don't be shy...it's time to get together and meet one another. It's party time!

20 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fr.-
You have a karaoke machine?!!!! It's probably for youth group, right? For some reason, the image of our priests (both of them)doing karaoke isn't hard to conjure.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll come and bring Potato Salad and cookies

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FG; What are Rogation Days? I was reading something that mentioned today, April 25, was a Major Rogation day. What is that?

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The other day, a blogger wrote about having a hard time understanding how the Holy Spirit works through our priests (as in confession and transubstantiation), and it was causing them to questions parts of their faith. I've something I'd like to offer this blogger:

Do you remember a time when you were younger and you fell down and hurt yourself? You got some medicine and maybe a bandaid,
but what really made you "better" was when your mom or dad picked you up and just held you. There was no "magic" that happened, no big puffs of smoke present to signify that you parent's love was there. You simply knew they loved you, probably b/c they had told you and shown you their love in countless other times and ways, and it is just reasonable that a parent would love their child. You allowed yourself to feel that love, really feel it, and that love healed you. God is that parent to each of us. If you have your own children, think about when you hug and hold them, and you allow your love and ALL that you are (those indescribable things that you just "feel") to go right through you- b/c you want your kids to "get" how special they are to you. That's the way I think the Holy Spirit works through our priests- God is giving us ALL he is to us through the sacraments to give us (not just show us) His love. This is why I believe the Eucharist really
is the body and blood of Christ. I think it's the way God gives us a physical part of himself- kind of like our own parental hugs. The bread doesn't look or taste any differently, but it is infused.
To me, it makes sense that there would be some physical manifestation of God in the Eucharist rather than be merely a symbol(it also helps when you have priests dedicated in speaking, speaking and speaking this belief). It is reasonable that God would want to give us His love, or why would He have created so much that is good for us? When I look at God as Father, it makes it easier for me to understand much that would otherwise be a "mystery" to me.

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cross over the 12th sation is crooked- it catches my eye each time I'm in church. Not trying to be picky, but it should be straight.

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant to ask the other day- I think it was Monday when it looked like the candle in front of the tabernacle wasn't lit. Maybe it just went out or the wick was low, but isn't the tabernacle always full except for a few specific dates where is it to be empty?

 
At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the significance of the colors of the vestaments during the different times in the liturgical year?

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fr. Mike mentioned in his refresher class, what ever you think of regarding God, add a plus sign to it, for God is always more than we could ever understand. If we think God is good, then God is good+. It wasn't until I had kids that I ever knew I could love anything/anyone so much. To apply Fr.'s teaching, God has that love for us+. It helps me believe in things that are seemingly impossible.

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want a karaoke machine that has music from the soundtracks from The Sound of Music and Going My Way!!!

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on bloggers... who is bringing what???? Otherwise FG is going to have to eat a lot of Potato Salad and Cookies at this rate....

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger fran said...

I will bring an anonymous dish :)

Make that a pasta salad and Italian bread or dinner rolls.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Fr Greg said...

Thank you, Kat and Fran, for signing up!

Come on, bloggers!!

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FG, this is a question from my 11yo son. He knows a priest cannot marry, but wondered if that meant he could also not adopt children. He pointed out that taking the vow of celibacy refers to marriage and a relationship with a woman, and it does not imply anything about adoption.

This was a serious question. He was not looking for a replacement for his two wonderful parents.

I guess he stumped me on this one.

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I want a karaoke machine that has music from the soundtracks from The Sound of Music and Going My Way!!!"

I believe I actually have some Broadway Karoake and I'm pretty sure some songs from those scores are there- so warm up your pipes!

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I was going to wait to see what others brought, but instead I'll keep the ball that Kat and Fran generously started rolling-

I'll go with the whole Cinco de Mayo thing- count me in for a Fajita Platter w/Spanish rice (I won't need the oven) and Margaritas, both alcoholic and virgin per Fr.'s okay.

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger @lmccague said...

I would love to come, but my son has his 1st Eucharist that morning and family is coming down from Jersey and my birthday is Monday so we are going out to dinner.

Somebody take pictures and I will catch the next one!

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We would love to come but bought concert tickets for that night.
Will pay money for video of Father Greg on the karaoke machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope to come to the next one.

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... Kat looks at camera, it has a video feature... hmmm....

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahm, I'll be coming as well. Cookies and Banana Bread.

^_^

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ill come, don't know what I will bring maybe a sweet of some kind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home