Saturday, October 28, 2006

Anonymous bloggers

Thanks be to God, our blog site is very active. We have many bloggers who leave excellent comments and questions that get to the heart of what it means to be Catholic. I am truly grateful for your persistent, and oftentimes inspiring, participation. One of the snags, however, is that we are a community of anonymous bloggers. It would be good for us to move out of that.

As Christians, community means getting to know one another as persons. This is no different for our community here. It would be much more fruitful to our community, and to each person involved, if we knew each other by name, and not just "Anon #1" or "Anon #2".

So, can you please consider entering your name when you leave a comment or question? You can do this by opening a (free) blogger account, and having your name as your username. Or, you can continue to have an anoymous username - just type your name in at the bottom of your comment or question. If you have any questions about how to do this, please let me know.

Thank you all very much for your prayerful consideration of this, and I hope we continue to grow as a Christian community.

8 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Father Greg!

I think a lot of times, females especially in this day and age, may be a little reticent about getting their full names out there onto the world-wide web. I know I am . . .

. . . You just never know. . .

I always use a "handle" consisting of my real first name and a nickname - Marion (Mael Muire). I know other people who use their first name and last initial "Julie C." or "Emily K." or even "Rebecca of Kemp Mill".

Meanwhile, I will email you, Father Greg, introducing myself, so that you can match my real name and my "handle".

I hope this is OK with you.

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the anon thing is getting old....lol...My name is Kelly and I know FG from my parish when he was a deacon. He is a friend of my family and our best friends' family. He helped us through some rough times. I usually use my initials KH or I will use Kelly.
Cool idea, Father Greg. :)

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just thinking I wonder who all these anons are and wouldn't it be wonderful if we had some "real" names. Well my last name is Markov and I am glad to meet everybody. Now let the games begin!

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger The Balla Family said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all. Yesterday, on a family trip up to the Catoctins for lunch (Cozy) and a hike (Cat Rock), the four of us had a debate that I would be interested to hear others from St. Andrew's weigh in on.

Here's the topic. "Over the past few years, a growing number of Somali taxi drivers in the Twin Cities have been interpreting Koranic prohibitions on carrying alcohol to include ferrying passengers with alcohol in their bags."

What do you think? Should these Muslim cab drivers (when stationed at the airport) be able to refuse to carry passengers who come back to the Twin Cities with, say, bottles of wine in their luggage?

Steve (and Desi, Julie, and Z-man)

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good question Steve. No easy answer I fear. The parallel example for Catholics would be the government forcing a Catholic institution to permit their health care provider to cover contraception costs. Another example would be the government forcing Catholic adoption agencies to place children with same sex couples or risk losing funding.

There is a balance between religious liberties and the common good with the latter being oh so hard to define.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Fr Greg said...

Wandering with purpose, your real first names would be best. If there are identical first names, then maybe include a last initial or nickname or something - for example, Greg S. or Gregory the Great (my personal favorite!).

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home