Monday, August 07, 2006

Spiritual reading

Recently, someone asked for a list of books that I would recommend for spiritual reading. Here are ten solid recommendations for those in the beginning and intermediate stages of the spiritual life. If anyone is looking for more advanced spiritual reading, please let me know.

1. "Introduction to the Devout Life" by St Francis de Sales (Tan books).
2. "The Story of a Soul" by St Therese of Lisieux (Tan books).
3. "The Sun Danced at Fatima" by Fr. Joseph Pelletier, A.A.
4. "Treasure in Clay" by Archbishop Fulton Sheen (Doubleday).
5. "St Francis of Assisi" by Omer Englebert (Servant Publications).
6. "The Imitation of Christ" by Thomas a Kempis.
7. "The Life of Christ" by Fulton Sheen (Image books).
8. "Modern Saints" by Ann Ball (Tan), Books One and Two.
9. "True Devotion to Mary" by St Louis de Montfort (Tan).
10. "The Lamb's Supper" by Scott Hahn (Doubleday).

4 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fr. Greg! This is a great post because I am always reading books about self-improvement, and our faith should definitely be included. One area I really have never explored or understood very well is the topic of Marian devotion. I have been told as Catholics, part of our faith that distinguishes us from other denominations includes special attention to the Virgin Mary. Though this has interested me, this area of our faith was never really explored or explained in my years in Catholic school, though very important, and has made it difficult to learn more. I have been thinking about it lately and would really enjoy reading up on the importance of our Holy Mother in our lives and how I can learn from her example. Any suggestions? Thanks again for the great list! I've gotta check it out.

 
At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Christine,

The book "Hail Holy Queen" by Scott Hahn is a good one.

I hope you like it. I really did!

Anony

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am looking for some reading about faith development. I am someone who has somehow managed to avoid the topic for almost my whole life and now find myself feeling empty and sometimes worthless. I cannot relate to saints or holy people who are well in the swing of it. I need to learn where to look, where to turn my attention. Any reading suggestions?

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am looking for some reading about faith development. I am someone who has somehow managed to avoid the topic for almost my whole life and now find myself feeling empty and sometimes worthless. I cannot relate to saints or holy people who are well in the swing of it. I need to learn where to look, where to turn my attention. Any reading suggestions?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home